“The FDA has determined that NO significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rBST, or rBGH — supplemented and non-supplemented cows. Obviously, the statement was meant to discourage consumers from purchasing organic bovine products not supplemented with these chemicals. The milk produced with growth-hormones is less expensive, so why wouldn’t you purchase it?
- Milk produced by cows injected with growth-hormones experience an increase in an insulin-like hormone in their milk, which can cause serious health consequences to consumers, especially infants, children and the frail.
- These artificial growth hormones are frequently referred to as “crack for cows”…oh great, now we have our cows being systemically addicted! It “revs” their system and forces them to produce more milk — at the expense of their health and ours. Even the FDA admits cows injected with rBGH suffer from increased; udder infections (mastitis), severe reproductive problems, digestive disorders, foot and leg ailments, and persistent sores and lacerations…gee…sounds like the same ailments us humans are getting!
- rBGH is banned in Europe and Canada and is boycotted by 95 percent of U.S. dairy farmers. What do our northern neighbors know what we aren’t being told in the U.S.?
- Due to industry pressure and great lobby efforts, genetically engineered foods are NOT required to carry identifying labels, at least in most states.
- rBGH makes cows sick. Monsanto has been forced to admit to about 20 veterinary health risks on its Posilac® label, including mastitis and udder inflammation.
- rBGH milk is contaminated by pus from mastitis induced by rBGH, and antibiotics used to treat the mastitis.
- rBGH milk is contaminated by the GE hormone which can be absorbed through the gut and can induce immunological effects.
- rBGH milk is chemically and nutritionally very different from natural milk.
- rBGH factory farms pose a major threat to the viability of small dairy farms.
According to renowned physician, Dr. Samuel Epstein, “The lipolytic effect of hormonal treatment is likely to mobilize carcinogens from body fat and increase their milk levels—a matter of particular concern to young infants. For these reasons, levels of fat soluble carcinogens in hormonal milk should be determined.”
Dr. Epstein is a physician and advocate for chemical-free food and products. He is professor emeritus of environmental medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health, and Chairman of the International Cancer Prevention Coalition.
The following are direct quotes from Epstein’s research and work.
Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH) is a genetically engineered, potent variant of the natural growth hormone produced by cows. Manufactured by Monsanto, it is sold to diary farmers under the trade name Posilac. Injection of this hormone forces cows to increase their milk production by about 10 percent and makes them very sick.
The facts show that consumers and their children, especially those in the Public School Lunch Programs, are at increased risk of cancer. Ignoring this, Monsanto and the FDA nevertheless insist that rBGH milk is safe and indistinguishable from natural organic milk. This is blatantly false.
rBGH Milk is:
- Unnatural, contaminated by pus and antibiotics;
- Super-charged with excess levels of a growth stimulant readily absorbed from milk;
- Dangerous because high levels of the growth stimulant increase risks of breast, colon, and prostate cancers, and;
- Profitable to Monsanto while posing dangers, with no benefits, to consumers. (From “Crack for Cows: Consumers are Literally Being Milked of Their Health with Misinformation” by Gloria Gilbere, DAHom, PhD, in Total Health, http://totalhealthmagazine.com/articles/diet/crack-for-cows.html )